VP of Safety - Contract Logistics
The Vice President of Safety champions and provides strategic leadership/direction in the development, implementation, and continuous improvement of the Safety Plan including strategies, policies, best practices, and initiatives. This position also provides strategic direction/management to the Safety team in the resolution of complex safety and training processes; motor vehicle accident and work-related injury reduction plans; and compliance with applicable company policies and governmental regulations.
This role requires senior level experience in corporate DOT and safety regulated programs and training. Our ideal candidate will be an expert at strategic planning and change management, with the ability to proactively analyze current processes/procedures and challenge them as needed to build continued process improvement and reliable safety practices.
- Plans, directs, and leads the implementation of the Safety Plan, vehicle accident and work related injury loss reduction plans, and safety awareness/compliance programs for Contract Logistics Services including Dedicated truck operations, shuttling services, warehouse services and occasional OTR services
- Executes and manages the assessment, development, and implementation of comprehensive safety policies, programs, tools, and systems to enhance consistent application/compliance with corporate directions for safe driving practices and to reduce accidents/injuries in the workplace
- Leads comprehensive studies to monitor/analyze issues and emerging trends that impact professional driver safety and workplace accidents and ensures effective solutions are developed and incorporated into policies and training programs
- Develops comprehensive communication plan to disseminate requirements and goals for safety education and to support rollout and delivery of training programs located at multiple locations throughout the country, with primary locations in Tennessee (Greenville, Chattanooga, Nashville) and Arkansas (Texarkana).
- Provides ongoing leadership and management to Safety team to ensure consistent application/compliance with corporate safety directions, to provide guidance for the resolution of a variety of safety issues, and to promote a culture that fosters excellence in customer service and commitment to safe driving and elimination of worker safety incidents.
- Manages an effective Safety team by hiring results-oriented employees, communicating performance expectations, monitoring/evaluating performance, determining training needs, providing coaching, recommending compensation, and dealing with disciplinary issues.
- Leads projects and multi-discipline, cross-organizational project teams by developing project plans, schedules, budgets, and resources requirements; managing contracts, schedules, budgets, and resources; managing external consultants; monitoring project progress; and reviewing quality of work.
- Ensures awareness of the Corporate Safety Plan goals, resolves safety performance issues, and encourages input into the development of innovative programs that ensures that each professional driver is the best trained and qualified for the job
- Ensures effective planning and management of the department budget, approves expenditures within prescribed limits, develops recommendations to address unplanned financial pressures, and manages human/financial resources to meet increased/unplanned program responsibilities.
- Establishes and maintains effective business relationships with a broad range of internal and external stakeholders.
- Partners frequently with other Safety Leadership in the organization for consistency and keeps focus on the results of the entire organization.
- Bachelor’s Degree required
- Significant executive level experience in Safety Education and Training
- Experience providing Safety leadership
- Proven managerial and leadership experience to provide direction, guidance, and coaching to Safety staff
- Broad understanding of Safety policies and practices
- Specific understanding of the FMCSA and DOT requirements
- Specific understanding of OSHA requirements and reporting
- Proven strategic planning and leadership expertise to manage the development of organization-wide strategies that reduce/eliminate vehicle accidents and worker injuries and ensure professional drivers are the best trained and qualified for the job
- Well-developed knowledge of motor vehicle accidents, warehouse accidents, and work related injury reduction techniques
- Knowledge of adult education principles (e.g. learning needs assessment, program design, development strategies, etc.)
- Demonstrated expertise in developing, implementing, and evaluating leading-edge Transportation Safety Training programs and policies
- Knowledge of information technology to lead the development and implementation of systems, technologies, and templates to support the collection and analysis of data to identify emerging trends that impact on safety in the workplace (e.g. accidents, professional driver complaints, safety related grievances, etc.)
- Knowledge and expertise in developing communication plans and strategies to facilitate the rollout of corporate goals for safety training and development
- Proven knowledge in the areas of research methodologies and project management
- Working knowledge of Microsoft Office software (Word, Excel, Outlook, PowerPoint, etc.) and transportation related software
- Excellent interpersonal skills and well developed written and verbal communication skills
- Ability to travel frequently
- Must be based in one of the primary locations within the organization (Greenville, TN preferred, but alternatively Chattanooga, Nashville or Texarkana are possible)